Tuesday 28 July 2020

100 Dates - Anatomy of a Profile


Bryce Dallas Howard Nosedives in Black Mirror


There is remarkably little variation in men’s profiles and after a while, each becomes indistinguishable from the last. Many of the photos are low quality, as if taken on a c.2002 camera phone, and are often at odd, unflattering angles. These will include such beauties as ‘up the nose’ shot, ‘chin rolls’ and cutting off half their heads. Distance shots are common, as are photos obviously taken some ten-plus years ago when the abs were tighter and the jawline was stronger.

Bed selfies feature heavily, faded and bobbled bed-linen in shot. They lie on an old-fashioned patterned pillowcase, one naked arm tucked behind their head, a wistful expression on their face. Sometimes there’s a dog there, too, because we all know that dog-owners are good people.

The bedroom mirror selfie will have the unmade bed in the background, and mismatched shoes strewn across the floor. There will be a can of Lynx trying to product place itself. In the backgrounds of bathroom selfies I have seen:

·         A toddler naked except for a nappy

·         A perturbed looking dog

And in the foreground:

·         100 empty bottles of shower gel

·         Rusty looking razors

·         A dried up cake of soap balanced on the side of the sink


Then there’s the public toilet selfie. I think that these are a go-to location because of the big mirrors and the good lighting, but it just looks kind of lazy, with the hand driers and urinals in the background, or the overflowing paper towel bin. All I can see is the smell of piss and cheap hand-soap.

Occasionally one is treated to the sight of an erection taken from an artsy angle (I report these right away, because I am sure no-one wants to see your dick) or a rotund hairy belly rising up from 70’s patterned bedsheets like the hump of a whale emerging from the sea.

Lying about age is common. The young ones will (usually) own up to it – ‘I’m actually 27, I really like older women’

The older (deluded) ones seem to genuinely think that they can pass for 35 or 40 when they are clearly hitting their mid-50’s or sometimes even older. Sometimes you get the bullshit disclaimer, ’55 not 48, it won’t let me change it’ (yes, it will, you delete your account and start again putting in the correct age).


Most common profile photos

·         In some kind of organised running or cycling event

·         Holding a big fish

·         Snow sports

·         Stroking a drugged tiger

·         Riding an elephant

·         A photo of their car

·         A photo of them as a kid (why?!)

·         A photo of them with kids, usually with the disclaimer, ‘my nephew/ niece/ Godchild’

·         The holiday selfie (in pool, by pool, on balcony. Holding a beer)

·         At Machu Picchu / Angkor Watt / The Lennon mural

·         Squinting against the smoke that is coming from the fag hanging outside their mouth

Decoding a Profile

‘No drama!’ = I love drama

‘Only swipe right if you can hold a decent conversation’  = I have no conversational skills myself

‘If you don’t look like your photos, you’re buying me drinks until you do’ = I don’t look anything like my photos

‘Only match if you’re going to chat’ = I will never reply to your message

‘Not looking for pen pals’ = we will never meet up. Like, ever.

‘Ideal dinner guest…you?’ = let’s cast this net super wide and see what catches

‘No gold-diggers or users’ = I want you to think I have money. I don’t. Also I am still bitter about a woman that left me in 1998 after I paid for an all-inclusive to Malaga

‘6 foot in heels’ = this is the first time any man has thought of this. I’m so funny!

‘No crazy exes’ = I have driven at least two women insane with my flimsy moral code and gas-lighting

‘No baggage’ = I don’t want you to have had kids, any exes or a life before me. I come with as much baggage than Rose DeWitt-Bukater boarding the Titanic.

 

These are real profiles

'47 year old white English guy looking for some fun very clean and discrete’

‘Single wanting no strings playmates, Happy to assist childless couples making families’

‘Hello I have decided to give this whole Tinder thing a proper go. Oh and any Davina McCall your first in line she’s hot and a huge turn 9n to me love to date someone as fit as she is that’s my idea of the perfect woman. I love fit older women and would marry Her or could you be her equal and be mine. Oh high sex drive is a must as well not up for debate’

‘im getting really bored of this dating app shit honestly.i aint no sad fuck boy or dopey dick picks sender.i want a lady that I can treat like a princess.yeah you probably think im talking aload of bollocks but im a gentleman that respects women.but cheeky. give me a chance please.ffs lolxxx’

Bonus Round – Just…why?

‘4.5 Uber rating’ = I have no idea why this is important, this isn’t that episode of Black Mirror where Bryce Dallas Howard goes batshit at her frenemy’s wedding, is it?

‘He’s a nice boy, 5 stars – my mum’ = third person reviews make me cringe so hard my bum hole relocates to my throat and I throw it up

‘Englishman’  - As if this is a benchmark of excellence.

Profile of the week

Toothless Roddy looked like Iggy Pop’s older, more drug-addled brother. He posed topless in leather trousers, his scrawny but fat chest festooned with silver chains and what looked like an emergency pullcord fob. ‘Why was I stupid enough to live beyond 30?’ he lamented, before going on to essay about sin, the Bible and music in one terrifying, unpunctuated paragraph.

Crush of the week who is definitely not on Tinder…

Cody Fern, (The Assassination of Gianni Versace, American Horror Story) who carries off both make-up and pretty clothes better than I do and is smoking hot. Not sure I could date a man that is more proficient at eye-liner application than me, though. Nah, I totally can.