Friday 8 January 2016

Two Blue Suede Shoes



*Disclaimer, the following post is going to make me sound like a pompous, uppity twit. While I can be those things from time to time, I don’t intend to be here….my old Customer Services colleagues will probably understand what is about to follow more than those readers that have not worked in a public facing job. I say the following because I have stupidly high expectations of customer services standards.*


We went back into the city today to hire a bike, then we went shopping. The Maya Plaza is a bit like a downmarket version of Westfield. It’s very shiny and very posh but only has a handful of reasonable shops. Then there’s the type of shop where you can buy £10 high street jeans imported from the UK for less than £3. It is a shame that they are ‘mum’ jeans, which might be having something of a fashionista revival, but which actually look hideous if you are not a fashionista.

http://blog.opsh.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/momjeans.png
'Mum jeans':  still kind of hideous, even on celabrities




TC buys some new trainers. It’s an odd experience. The shop assistant seems reluctant to find the left shoe, and takes AGES bringing it out. When she does and TC says he’ll take them, she seems really happy about it. Later on, when TC has changed into them and we’ve headed outside to catch the last of the later afternoon sun, we see that they are actually different colours. This be the lesson: never trust the lighting in shops.

Artist's impression of 'Shoegate'
 The right one is very much, very, very blue. And the left one….er, isn’t. It’s a grey/black colour. So we go back to the shop and ask for them to find the black one’s buddy. Here’s where it gets awkward. As soon as we walk in, the male shop assistant smirks and says, ‘I know, I know. No refund. You choose another pair,’

‘I don’t want another pair, I want these in black’ says TC.
‘You can have Converse, Nike….’
‘I want these ones, or a refund,’
‘No refund,’
Then a female shop assistant comes over. She’s very small but she looks like she could kill you with one brief look.

evil eye doug walker disneycember


‘NO REFUND!’ she says.
‘I wanted a pair of shoes and you haven’t sold me a pair of shoes,’ says TC.
‘Manager, manager’ says the girl.
The manager comes over. He and the girl have a long exchange, which of course is in Thai, so we don’t know what they are saying.

‘I have to phone my manager,’ the manager says. But he doesn’t. I guess he tells a third assistant just to refund, because then they ask for the receipt and they just give TC his money back.
I’m not really sure what happened here. Did they think because we are tourists, we’d just go, ‘oh ok, I’ll take this pair of non- matching shoes!’? Did they refund out of embarrassment? They blatantly knew that they had sold TC two odd shoes and were obviously annoyed that we’d come back to get a refund. 

It’s much easier to stand your ground over this sort of thing in the UK. You can quote the Sales of Goods Act. I’ve noticed many of the shops in Thailand don’t even GIVE you a receipt.  But we hadn’t been expecting a fight about the shoes.
We go and do a bit of food shopping after that, in the posher than M & S Rimping Supermarket. The cashier is rude. She doesn’t smile and doesn’t speak and doesn’t look at us. That’s fine, if she can’t speak English, I get it. But so far, most (if not all) people we have encountered in shops and bars will respond with the Thai ‘thank-you’ when you say it in English, or just smile and nod.  Didn’t even get that. 


I am really not the sort of person that expects shop assistants or waitresses to be ‘yes ma’am, no ma’am,’ but if I am approaching them with a smile, and a ‘hello!’ one back would be nice!
Now we’re back in 'The Overlook' Villa after what was to me, a totally terrifying bike ride back on the highway.

the simpsons cool simpsons homer simpson homer
I did NOT have a smile like this on my face

Good news: there’s wine in the fridge and I intend to drink it!